Image: Paul Malek
Established with funds made available by the former Bank of Tokyo (now part of MUFG Bank, Ltd.), this grant enables artists at any stage of their careers to undertake arts-based activity in Japan.
The grant is open to professional practicing independent artists based in South Australia who want to explore traditional or contemporary skills to inform their practice or develop projects through a Japanese connection.
Funds can be provided for any costs arising from a project, including travel, accommodation and living allowances.
Activity may involve:
• a residency at a significant institution
• working one-on-one with a Japanese artist
• participation in workshops or master classes
• project research and development.
Stand-alone presentation outcomes such as touring, performing or exhibiting in Japan will not be funded. Consideration may be given to presentation opportunities where they are an integral part of the development of a project.
Proposals must outline:
• how the study or acquisition of traditional Japanese artistic skills will inform contemporary practice
• the cultural/artistic objectives and anticipated outcomes of the project
• plans for disseminating acquired knowledge and skills upon return to South Australia
• how the activity will promote and enhance South Australia's international cultural reputation.
You can view and download a PDF of past grant recipients here.
Peter Grace - Manager, Artists' Grants & Awards Program
(08) 8463 5429
Belinda Powles - Arts Development Officer, Artists' Grants & Awards Program
(08) 8463 5512
Julia Moretti - Arts Development Officer, Artists' Grants & Awards Program
(08) 8463 5455